European Case Studies- examples of work by Weir-TSCS Ltd
Scotts is a $ multi-billion global manufacturer and distributor of gardening and lawn-care products.
- The Sustainability team in Europe were under pressure to create a coherent strategy, both to drive internal improvement processes and to support extensive communication with professional customers and consumers.
- A clear high-level direction had been set by the global Board, but this had not been linked to the many good projects and actions which were underway at a "local" level across the European manufacturing and sales operations.
- We deployed our Sustainability Benchmark toolkit across the 4 main operating countries in Europe, through a process of detailed data collection and structured interviews with senior managers.
- We analysed current progress and plans across 100 aspects of Sustainability management, identifying both good practice and new opportunities across manufacturing, supply chain and sales operations.
- Through the discussions with over 30 senior managers we also explored current management attitudes to Sustainability in order to help design a strategy and approach which would "fit" with company culture and existing business priorities.
- We helped the client team to compile a detailed view of the strengths, weaknesses and opportunities of the current operations, including identifying key existing projects and new initiatives required to close remaining performance gaps.
- Using the Benchmark tool, targets were set for 3-Year and 5-Year plans and communicated clearly to Territory Directors and their teams.
- We developed a metrics framework to measure future performance, including data sources and ownership of the KPIs.
- Direct "line of sight" was demonstrated to ensure that the European strategy was clearly aligned with the global view.
- The client also took ownership of a detailed site-level energy efficiency programme which we produced, along with a fully validated Scope 1 & Scope 2 carbon footprint.