Case Studies - examples from Ireland of work by Weir-TSCS Ltd
C & C Group is an international drinks company, famous for its Magners Cider and other well-known brands.
- C&C has a strong heritage of corporate responsibility, coupled with high-profile brands.
- It had implemented some good initiatives in energy management and site operations, but lacked a strategy to link these projects.
- The business wanted to develop an integrated approach to Sustainability to ensure that it fully addressed climate change legislation, customer pressures, and the need to reduce supply chain risks and costs. It also wanted to ensure effective reporting via the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) initiative, to reflect its good progress on carbon and energy management.
- We carried out a fundamental Sustainability Review of the company’s supply chain operations ranging from product design, through sourcing and procurement, manufacturing, and distribution through to end customers.
- A joint Carbon Action team was formed and applied assessment tools, including our Supply Chain Sustainability Benchmark and Carbon Footprints (to GHG protocol and PAS2050 standards), to identify supply chain risks & opportunities for delivering improved Sustainability.
- Close collaborative working with the client developed a strong business case and buy-in to the prioritised action plan.
- The benchmarking review showed that C&C had made progress in some areas but was a long way from best practice in others.
- Supply risks were identified, together with significant opportunities for supply chain process improvement and cost reduction.
- Detailed product Carbon Footprints demonstrated the value of further packaging & energy reductions and the need for a logistics review.
- The Sustainability Action Plan included over €4 Million of cost savings as well as actions to enhance brand and corporate reputation.
- Quick wins included logistics optimisation, improved stock planning, and corporate travel, and C&C are now progressing the plan. We continue to support the internal Carbon Action Team and to deliver update discussions and presentations at management group sessions.