European Case Studies- examples of work by Weir-TSCS Ltd
This multi-billion $ client is a household name with sourcing and retail operations across the globe.
- The business had made some good advances in its Far East supply chains, particularly in ethical standards and human rights.
- The Ethical standards team wanted to bring this work closer to home by understanding the Sustainability issues and opportunities facing its European food supply base, but lacked a framework to carry out research amongst its suppliers.
- We designed a "lite" version of our full Sustainability Benchmarking toolkit, which could be used in an extensive research process based around structured interviews with supplier teams.
- The interview process was designed to align closely to the client’s global sustainability strategy and priorities.
- Suppliers were primarily selected in relation to the supply of "own label" products to maximise the leverage which could be created to deal with issues identified as part of the process; the majority of interviews were conducted remotely to minimise the footprint of the project.
- Each participating supplier received a detailed feedback report, reflecting their progress in managing Sustainability to date, and identifying priorities for future action. A simple normalised scoring process created a picture, sector by sector, of the current maturity of the overall supply base.
- The client was provided with an anonymised "Maturity Matrix", highlighting sectors which were more advanced, as well as those where Sustainability was not a current "priority". Briefings were provided for Buying teams to enhance their understanding of the issues and give an overview of potential opportunities.
- Suppliers with particular best practice activities in their operations were also highlighted, and over 100 suppliers were invited to a supplier conference to provide further support The client has gone on to create a major Sustainability forum to drive progress forward across its wider supply base.